February 28th, 2015
I’ve created another open-source project, which helps you fix the collection names created by Lightroom when you import from Aperture.
It’s a pretty basic script, although it took a while to figure out all the hoops to jump through. Hopefully this will help someone else!
Get it at https://github.com/fredsherbet/lightroom-aperture-fix
After using Adobe’s Aperture importer, you’ll find all your Aperture projects have become Collection Sets in Lightroom, with a collection called ‘Project Photos’.
Fair enough… but then when you sync them all to Lightroom Mobile, all the collections you see on your iPhone/iPad are called ‘Project Photos’. Hardly helpful!
So, this script fixes it.
- Every collection called ‘Project Photos’ is renamed using its parent collection set
- Projects imported from Aperture that had no sub-albums are turned into a simple collection, rather than a collection set with one child collection.
Feel free to tweak the script to behave differently!
MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR CATALOG BEFORE RUNNING THIS SCRIPT
February 28th, 2015
I’ve published some open source software!
I had a problem – I’d uploaded all my photos to Google+ (it’s super-easy to upload them with the Google Plus Auto Backup program. But I did a bunch of them at full res, and was stuck paying for extra Google storage. I decided having all my photos on Google+ wasn’t that great after all (it’s not very good for browsing/searching, and it’s story thing never seemed to work well – all the photos were muddle up despite me being careful to have good metadata on my photos)
So I wanted to stop paying for extra storage, and started looking for a way to get my photos deleted from Google+… turns out it’s a painstaking process! You have to manually delete one album at a time (I had 2500 because it creates an album for each day) or manually highlight all the photos (which would have involved scrolling through 120,000 photos – a process that would have taken days).
Even the help says:
Scroll all the way to the bottom (it may take a while, depending on how many photos you have).
A “while”?… yes. A long while!
I found Google have APIs, and wrote a Python script to do the deletion for me. I’ve now published the tool, so it’s a
pip install PicasaDeleter away!
More information about PicasaDeleter here and the source code is on github too
May 19th, 2011
This is an outline of how I produced my Tron: Legacy Audio Awesome Soundtrack mix, which you can read more about and download here.
A warning: This post is quite long, and has a fair bit of detail. I wanted to put this info out there, but haven’t spent a huge amount of time tidying it up or making it digestible. Ask questions in the comments if you’d like more info or clarification.
Read the rest of this entry »
May 13th, 2011
The whole of Tron: Legacy ties together so well visually, musically and aurally. Rather than produce a pure music edit that’s faithful to the film, I selectively blended in the audio from the movie to increase the power of some moments.
February 9th, 2010
Apple have today released Aperture 3, so I hope I won’t need my synchroniser any more. The idea behind the synchroniser was to get access to some of the nice features iPhoto ’09 has, but are lacking from Aperture 2.
Once again, after waiting long enough, someone else solved my problem for me 😛
I’m downloading the trial of Aperture 3 as quickly as I can; I’m looking forward to having a play!
January 29th, 2010
This post is still in progress; I haven’t gotten caching to work well yet.
Every time I load my iPhone webapp I have to wait for it to download ~100 images and buttons. I’ll be closing and opening this app lots, so I’m trying to turn local caching on for all these images.
This article has gotten me started.
First of all I generated a cache.manifest file. Ideally, I want to cache anything within specific folders (images folders) but I couldn’t see anything that lets you use wildcards in the manifest. I’ll come back to trying this once I get a basic cache working, so for the time being I used a string of UNIX commands to generated a list of the files in my image directories, and stick it in my base manifest file. Read the rest of this entry »
January 28th, 2010
This post is in progress.
Making updates and retrieving data after the initial load needs to be done using ajax. If you try to load another web page from a webapp, the iPhone takes the user into safari.
Apple have good details of the meta tags you can use to customize how iPhone handles your webapp. Read the rest of this entry »